Loading


Humboldt County Historical Society Archives

The Historical Society archives contain photos, maps, print materials and papers that focus on the people, places and activities of Humboldt County.

Unique to the Humboldt County Historical Society are over 450 collections from specific businesses, organizations and families. We also have government records and school materials covering Humboldt history from the 1850s to the present day. The items in these collections can range from business correspondence to ledger and receipt books to meeting minutes to family letters, diaries and scrapbooks.

In addition to our specific collections we have a Research Library with local history books, back issues of the Humboldt Historian and general information files, a separate room dedicated to family histories and genealogy resources, a map room and a room that houses our extensive photo collection.


Find out more about Historical Society archives:
HOW TO USE OUR RESOURCES

All of our archives, with the exception of unprocessed collections, are available to researchers during our business hours.

If you are unable to visit us, research requests can be handled by phone, mail, or e-mail to research @humboldthistory.org. Be as specific as possible about what is needed and what you already know about the topic.

Click here for research fees, and photo duplication fees and policies.

This detail from an 1892 map reveals the inflated hopes of a group of early-day entrepreneurs. The Samoa Land and Improvement Company, formally established in 1892, was comprised of Eureka businessmen hoping to launch a profitable enterprise by starting a town. The South Pacific island of Samoa, much in the news just then because of warring chiefs, provided the name of the town. Promotional materials, however, including a 23-page booklet and full-page ads in the Eureka Nerve, called the new town West Eureka. Lots were priced from $75 to $300.

The scheme was not a success. Most of the lots ended up being purchased by the Vance Lumber Company in 1893; in 1901 the Hammond Lumber Company purchased the remaining unsold lots and also the few lots which had been purchased by individuals.